Zusammenfassung / Abstract
The first Hermit settlement attested in Rome, in the sec. XIII, was that of S. Maria del Popolo, built in a marginal area of the city, which from 1473 will be revitalized by the observant Congregation of Lombardy. Subsequently there was a second settlement in S. Trifone near Piazza Navona, therefore in the heart of the city, where the church of the same name enjoyed the advantages of the cura animarum, which was managed by the Augustinian prior. The Conventual Studium Generale was also established here in 1324. Only after a short distance from Piazza Navona will the church of S. Agostino be built (later rebuilt from the foundations by Cardinal Guglielmo d’Estouteville from 1479), which will live together with S. Trifone and will become the privileged place of preaching and therefore of the work of apostolate by the Order. To complete the picture, during the fifteenth century in various churches both the presence of Augustinian friars with the function of chaplains and the spontaneous foundation of domus of tertiary and Augustinian “bizzoche” are attested, which shed light on the attraction of Augustinian religiosity to the world female (devotion to S. Monica).