Zusammenfassung / Abstract
“Florentine painters in the service of curial scholarship. The Ghirlandaio workshop in the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana of Sixtus IV” – Since the reinstallation of Federico da Montefeltro’s Studiolo from Gubbio in the Metropolitan Museum of New York, there is an increasing interest in the reconstruction of painted interiors. The pictorial program in Montefeltro’s former study room can be reconstructed by comparatively including the manuscripts from the former court library in Urbino that are kept in the Biblioteca Vaticana. This collection of manuscripts was only completely transferred to the Vaticana’s holdings in 1657 during Alexander VII’s pontificate. Since then, these manuscripts have been kept in three registers and are known as Codices Urbinates Latini. The following article takes up this new methodological approach to the decoration of private libraries and uses it to reconstruct the first decoration campaigns in the reading room of the Biblioteca Vaticana, which was housed in the Palazzo Apostolico in 1475. In this process, the activity of the workshop of the two brothers Domenico and Davide Ghirlandaio in Rome under Sixtus IV is illuminated.